[linux-mm-cc] compcache-0.5pre1 release

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 07:16:23 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This new revision of compcache replaces TLSF with xvMalloc memory
> allocator. With this new allocator, we no longer depend on small
> vmalloc area which limited size of compcache (especially on x86
> systems).

On amd64 (2GB ram, 2GB compcache):
* builds cleanly
* Module loads fine
* Crashes with thousands of swap write failures in syslog after
swapping out 500MB.
  - Does not respond to Cntl-Alt-F3, Alt-Sysreq-B, Cntl-Alt-backspace.

>I hope to get your feedback to help stabilize this
> version :)

Possibly instead of giving swap write failures we could allocate an
uncompressed page like 0.4 (prehaps just use kmalloc for this)?

Also perhaps use_compcache should prevent the user from allocating a
compcache more than ~8 times larger than memory. This may indicate
that the user got the wrong number of zeros. ./use_compcache
1000000000 (1TB) also caused my 2GB machine to crash.

Are either of these "issues"? I could probably whip up a patch in the
time it would take me to submit an issue.
--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student