[linux-mm-cc] compcache-0.5pre1 release

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 08:26:06 EST 2008

Hi All,

This new revision of compcache replaces TLSF with xvMalloc memory
allocator. With this new allocator, we no longer depend on small
vmalloc area which limited size of compcache (especially on x86
systems). As with any pre-release stuff, I have done minimal testing
(on x86) only. I hope to get your feedback to help stabilize this
version :)

Changelog 0.5pre1 vs 0.4
 - Replaced TLSF with xvMalloc memory allocator
        http://code.google.com/p/compcache/wiki/xvMalloc

Known Issues:
 - You will now get more "swap write failures" since we still don't
handle case of uncompressible pages well. Any page which compresses to
more than (PAGE_SIZE - 512) bytes results in "swap write failure". I'm
still working on this issue - ideally we should forward such writes to
real swap disk (if present) but that looks difficult :(

[Links]
 - Download: http://compcache.googlecode.com/files/compcache-0.5pre1.tar.gz
 - xvMalloc information: http://code.google.com/p/compcache/wiki/xvMalloc
 - Project home: http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

If you find any problems (you will!), please open issue here:
http://code.google.com/p/compcache/issues/list

Cheers,
Nitin