[linux-mm-cc] Hi All

Anderson Briglia anderson.briglia at indt.org.br
Thu Sep 13 18:11:03 EDT 2007

Hi all,

ext Sanket Somnath Hase wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are graduate students at Carnegie Mellon University. We are enrolled in a course (Operating systems practicum http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~412/ ) which involves hands-on experience with operating-system code as it is developed and deployed in the real world.
>
> We are interested in contributing to project :Compressed caching on Linux
>
> We have already taken an operating system design and implementation class
> (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~410/ ) before where we developed a UNIX like kernel from scratch. We have fair experience in reading-coding-debugging kernel code. All three of us interned at core systems group at companies like Google and Oracle in the past summer.
>
> Our team can invest 50 hours per week, for a period of 13 weeks of this Fall
> semester. Nitin has already given us some pointers towards current to-do list.
>
> We are interested in knowing the current stage of the project. Could you refer us to the latest documentation and/or code-base of the project? Anything else which you think we should look at ?

I suspect that you can get this information from Nitin. Actually, I believe we need more tests on latest Ikeda's patches
which implemented a shrink operation to CCache. You can find this mail thread here:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/linux-mm-cc/2007-July/000165.html

I've worked with CCache focused on embedded devices, mainly Nokia devices: N770 and N800. I did a presentation at Linux
Symposium 2007, you can find the article here: https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/briglia-Reprint.pdf

I did not have time to continue this work after OLS, but I'll continue this month yet, since it's part of my Master's
course. :)

Nitin, do you have any news about that CCache allocator?

Cheers,

Anderson Briglia
INdT - OSMRC - Manaus
Core Team