[linux-mm-cc] [RFC] LZO de/compression support in kernel [0/5]

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 06:06:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 5/14/07, Richard Purdie <richard at openedhand.com> wrote:
> * The safe decompression version of the decompress function is missing.
> Ideally we should have that as I suspect most kernel use cases should be
> doing bounds checking. I did wonder if we should have bounds checking in
> the compression case too although its less significant from a security
> PoV.

I think the "safe" decompress version is only required when we suspect
that compressed data might be corrupted. Otherwise, if such data
corruption is not possible then this "unsafe" decompress will never
overrun output buffer -- since output buffer lenght is not used by
unsafe version but still it should never exceed buffer size beyoond
original data size.
 I think I should contact the author to make sure I am correct here...

Also "safe" decompress will obviously have perf penalties too.   But
anyhow adding option for  have safe decompress is worth it.