[OLPC library] olpc-open and new ideas for olpc projects

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 10 18:02:30 EST 2012

Hi SJ,

this sounds like a good idea though for it to work well the mailing list(s)
would have to be easily accessible via laptop.org.

At the moment you need to go through laptop.org -> about -> contact us to
reach http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Contact_us which points to the *@
laptop.org addresses going into RT and only below mentions the mailing
lists. That's a lot of links to click for the uninitiated IMHO.

Similarly the take action page on laptop.org (
http://one.laptop.org/action/donate) emphasizes donations by this being the
first tab one lands on. Even once you get to the "get involved" tab you're
first landing on the Intern page which (a) probably isn't all that
interesting to the majority of potential contributors and (b) leads to what
looks like a very old page with 2009 / 2010 information (
http://laptop.org/en/interns/).

I tend to believe that the "connect with local volunteers" page should be
featured much more prominently on the "take action" site, preferably as the
number one landing page. Plus from there people should be guided towards
http://one.laptop.org/community rather than the continent-based wiki entry
(btw, I just noticed that
http://one.laptop.org/action/volunteer#/connect-local-volunteers is missing
Europe;-). Then in turn we should make sure that
http://one.laptop.org/community is up-to-date and doesn't contain broken
links (like the OLPC Poland one!). Plus I think linking to olpcmap.net from
there would also be a good idea.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there currently are way too many
steps that people have to jump through. Encouraging people to move to
mailing lists such as olpc-open is really only one small step of what
should be a much larger effort to make OLPC more accessible to new
contributors.

Just my 2 eurocents;-)

Christoph

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> A number of organizations and people are asking how they can work with
> OLPC, driven by the recent publicity about the xo-3 and xo-1.75 . I'm
> directing some of them to the olpc-open list.  Please help respond to
> newbies joining the list and sharing their ideas; many have partnership
> ideas or educational materials to share.  (We used to send more such people
> to the private 'volunteer' and 'content' RT queues, but as there is rarely
> anything inherently private about the requests, so let's try something more
> open this time around.  It's been working quite well for Khan Academy,
> which uses only public google grops/lists for such things.
>
> Giulia is the right person to triage serious business development ideas;
> many of them just need to be introduced to the right wiki / list / existing
> project or local project online.
>
> SJ
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617
> 529 4266

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]