[OLPC library] HTML-based/Browser apps (was Re: anti-cheating)

S Page info at skierpage.com
Tue Jan 13 05:01:27 EST 2009

Carlos Nazareno wrote:

> You can go with Processing (http://www.processing.org/) but Java is a
> bit problematic on the XO.

Heh, http://ejohn.org/blog/processingjs/ is the Processing language
running in a <canvas>.  Works on XO, slowly.  (I hope XULRunner 1.9.1
with the Tracemonkey JIT shows up in joyrunner builds.)

> Why put yourself through unnecessary pain with the
> HTML5/Javascript/CSS/SVG/whathaveyouforaudio&video&webcam combo? Add
> to that the added headache of the standards fragmented browser
> landscape.

There is no fragmentation, the XO ships with XULRunner.

> Flash gets the job done, and gets it done easy.

I worked at Macromedia for 9 years, I know well of Flash's many
benefits, and many downsides for OLPC.  Rather than debate it, if
there's Flash content relevant to OLPC's mission, mention it on the
wiki.  A few days ago I added a brief mention of the SWF format to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image_file_formats before I noticed someone
had already put it under "List of objectionable formats" on the talk
page; I don't care deeply either way.

--
=S Page