[OLPC library] HTML-based/Browser apps (was Re: anti-cheating)

S Page info at skierpage.com
Mon Jan 12 21:59:51 EST 2009

Sameer Verma wrote:
>> E.g. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/FindTheCountry -- why bother with crappy
>> static PDF atlases when interactive technology like that is available?
>> And you can View > Source it!
>>
> This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!!! This is
> definitely going down in the SVG examples section for my class in
> Spring.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SVG#Resources also lists
* http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/canvas.shtml is code to
show/hide map layers.

With advanced HTML you can imagine scalable interactive SVG maps,
science texts with interactive JavaScript + <canvas> physics simulations
(like the WIMS stuff but running in the browser), biology texts with
layers that show and hide different anatomical systems... All with quiz
modules that work offline and online.  Unfortunately collaborative
editing on wiki pages and Flossmanuals doesn't support that level of
interactivity, and the people with skills to do it are rare.

--
=S