[OLPC library] Content formats for the XS and XO

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 00:31:40 EST 2009

> Sounds like a good idea -
>
>  - if Browse.xo gets served a speex file with the right mimetype, does
> it do the right thing?

Yes.  It didn't as of 656, but it did as of 711 and does in 767

>  - do browsers in other desktop/laptop platforms (conventional linux,
> Windows, OSX) do the right thing?

*nix yes,
OSX sometimes,
Windows... not in IE and I don't think so in FF 3.1 maybe

> > Ideally we could use the 1500+ hours of Human Read audiobook that
> Librivox
> > has produced and stored on archive.org in some of our deployments.
>
> Great project -- didn't know it existed. Tried it with Alice in
> Wonderland, in part to see what my ubuntu laptop would do with the
> speex files, but it lists mp3 and ogg only...? Is speex a codec that
> gets wraped in ogg?

They're not yet encoded as speex @ archive.org.  I've spoken to sj and the
team of Internet Archiver's that he's been working with and it seems
possible that they may re-encode their archives to provide speex as an
option.

Your ubuntu machine should already have a speex file on it.  If you still
have the Desktop-Examples package installed Ubuntu comes with a collection
of flyers and OOo documents, an Ubuntu-Sax.ogg file and a Librivox Aseop's
Fables recording in Speex.

~/Examples/fables_01_01_aesop.spx
/usr/share/example-content/fables_01_01_aesop.spx