[OLPC library] Content formats for the XS and XO

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 22:49:09 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:
> I would add speex as a codec for human voice content.  I can pack about an
> hour worth of audiobook into ~7mb using speex, and have it fairly nice.
> Gstreamer on sugar plays .spx files just fine.  They are an ogg varient and
> developed by xiph.

Sounds like a good idea -

 - if Browse.xo gets served a speex file with the right mimetype, does
it do the right thing?
 - do browsers in other desktop/laptop platforms (conventional linux,
Windows, OSX) do the right thing?

> Ideally we could use the 1500+ hours of Human Read audiobook that Librivox
> has produced and stored on archive.org in some of our deployments.

Great project -- didn't know it existed. Tried it with Alice in
Wonderland, in part to see what my ubuntu laptop would do with the
speex files, but it lists mp3 and ogg only...? Is speex a codec that
gets wraped in ogg?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions