[OLPC library] big images, resized images, SVG files

S Page info at skierpage.com
Wed Sep 3 19:51:15 EDT 2008

> Also, we're going to be exporting the html from the 'printable' version of FM:
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar/print
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/XO/print

http://en.flossmanuals.net/XO/print is a single-page 100 KB file with
about 1.5MB of supporting files (yay, HTML beats PDF again!).  After
scrolling through it Browse is at 41 MiB private and 5.5 MiB shared,
which seems fine.

At least two of the images are bigger than they need to be.
<http://en.flossmanuals.net/floss/pub/OLPC_simple/OpeningOLPC/570px_OpenB3.svg.png>
is 260KB.  I ran it through ImageMagick's convert and the same image
with the same dimensions became 113KB, compare with
http://www.skierpage.com/olpc/570px_OpenB3_small.png

You can save that image and replace the original, or do you want me to
learn the FLOSS web site and upload new smaller images myself?

For that matter, Browse can render SVG files directly.  So I think you
could reference the original SVG from the HTML and with some CSS get an
image that fits the screen, resizing without jaggies.  I'm not sure what
that would do to performance and memory.  If you want me to experiment
with this, can someone give me the SVG original?

Also, (using Firefox's killer Tools > Page Info with all columns turned
on) a lot of the images are not displayed at their native dimensions,
which wastes space and time.  E.g. "Connecting to the network", about
halfway down the web page (unfortunately it has no ids and hardly any
anchors in the HTML that you can hyperlink to) has
   # Go to the Neighborhood View.
   [neighborhoodview_fromhome.png]
which is a 1200x900 pixel 121KB image, but the HTML resizes it to
129x96.  I resized it to 240x120 and it's only 7KB.  (Better still would
have been to crop the original screen.)  Compare
<http://en.flossmanuals.net/floss/pub/OLPC_simple/Interface/neighborhoodview_fromhome.png>
and http://www.skierpage.com/olpc/neighborhoodview_fromhome.png

All the images named .resized_NNN... such as
.resized_200x162_2Battery.png seem to be displayed at their native
dimensions, as you'd expect.

Cheers,
--
=S