[OLPC library] FLOSS Manuals visual presentation

S Page info at skierpage.com
Wed Sep 3 19:03:36 EDT 2008

Seth Woodworth wrote:

> First of all, the OLPC_simple page is the old version.  The verions that
> we're working out of are http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar and
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/XO

OK, all my previous comments still apply to those.  (XO has EVEN MORE
UPPER CASE SCARY HEADINGS than OLPC_simple.)

> Also, we're going to be exporting the html from the 'printable' version
> of FM:
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar/print
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/XO/print
>
> Then adjusting things via script and .css as needed.  Please check those
> print versions on your XO and poke around in the formatting to help us
> decide on best formats for the XO!

That is indeed a much nicer, simpler layout, no more flesh-in-fishnets
look.  From a quick scan of http://en.flossmanuals.net/XO/print

* doesn't fit the XO screen in rotated (e-book) mode
* doesn't wrap text to fit the screen
* links are indistinguishable from plain underlined text and there's no
distinction between visited and unvisited links (don't style <a> at all,
let the browser do it!)
* has an unnecessary gray surrounding line breaking up the margins
* is titled "_all < XO < TWiki"
* is one huge web page (has pros and cons)
* has no TOC for navigation.

I repeat, the content looks fabulous.  This is putting lipstick on the
Mona Lisa.

> Hey Skier! Thanks for getting involved.
Call me 'S', it really is my first name.
> --S
Wait? are you me?
--
=S   user:skierpage