[OLPC library] new bugs, old bugs in the manual/PDF

S Page info at skierpage.com
Sun Nov 30 05:07:30 EST 2008

quoth Anne Gentle:

> I'd personally prefer that you use the FLOSS Manuals wiki system to
> either go ahead and make the changes yourself, or comment on the
> chapter that you have suggestions for, or email your comments to
> either me or this list.

Taking the lastest, easiest way first,

In http://www.laptop.org/8.2.0/manual/Sugar_InstallingActivities.html
and in the Help version 10 activity (but not in
http://en.flossmanuals.net/publish/PDF/g1g1_2.pdf [**]) , step 7 is:
"In the Frame, click the Journal to launch the Journal Activity.
<http://www.laptop.org/8.2.0/manual/Sugar/Journal/resized_300x19_journal_launch.jpg>
"
BUG: this .jpg file exists, but it's zero-length so you only see its name.

[**] I thought this PDF was the same as the online manual/Help activity,
but the text of this chapter is quite different in the PDF!  The HTML
page says "r1.12 - 17 Sep 2008", the PDF says Created 11/11/2008".  If
the PDF is a more recent version, will laptop.org/manual and the Help
activity be re-released?  If the PDF is a different document, can
someone please update http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manuals with the truth
of the matter?

I asked earlier:
> --> Is the Help activity is the same as http://www.laptop.org/manual/ ?
I think it is.

> --> is there a version number hidden in the manual?
The source of the HTML/Help has a useful DOCNUMBER meta tag.  The PDF
document properties has only a Created date.

> --> what's the title of this manual?
Nobody answered.  In the wiki I'm calling it "the OLPC Manual / Help
activity for Release 8.2.0".  The PDF first page says "G1G1" in big letters.

BUG: All the HTML pages are untitled because they have two <title> tags
and the first one is blank.

BUG: The PDF's Title in document properties is "Untitled"

In the September thread "FLOSS Manuals visual presentation" I mentioned
a bunch of issues, they're all still present.  In
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8513 I provided CSS that addressed some of
them.  Is there anything else I should do to ensure they and this new
feedback is not forgotten?  I'll transfer it to Trac bugs or
Flossmanuals if it'll help.

This is all minor stuff compared with the great content.  E.g. this
"Installing Activities" is far better than anything on the wiki, a lot
of wiki pages should just refer and link to it.

Regards,
--
=S Page