[OLPC library] Quiting the library list? Please don't go!

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:25:11 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:57 PM, info at olpc-peru.info <info at olpc-peru.info> wrote:
> I was worried too... because I love tech stuff... but AT THE SAME TIME I
>  am interested
>  in talking (deep interest) in talking about 3rd world children and families.

Thank you. We don't hear enough from the target countries about the XO
program. Also, we have no way to contact the schoolchildren to ask
them how to improve the XO.

>  The reason why we need to discuss the social issues is (well... my
>  reasons!):
>  a) I live in Peru, working on computers 25 (or more) years.  I have seen
>  previous ideas similar to OLPC (named "Huascaran").  They fail in the
>  long run.

Yes, I had that experience with the Simputer.

>  b) This XO/OLPC opportunity can be revolutionary IF, and only if, survive.
>  c) We, the people, can make this survival happens.

Exactly. What Alan Kay says.

So we need many more people coming into the discussion, perhaps here
and perhaps on other lists. Please invite people, and tell them that
we gringos on the list don't bite, ^_^ and some of us even know how to
listen. %-[

This is the library list. What content do Peruvians particularly need?
How can we ask that question and make sure we can hear the answer?

And the same for any other country represented here.

I was in the Peace Corps in Korea 40 years ago. 1967년에 평화봉사단원으러 서울에 가서
영어를 가르쳤읍니다. I see a huge interest from Koreans on the Wiki. Is this
because South Korea is the most wired country on Earth, or is it
because of the hope of getting XOs into North Korea, now that there
will be a peace treaty, railroad connections, the NY Philharmonic,
perhaps Eric Clapton...? 동해물과벡두산이?
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/