[OLPC library] Language selection

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 01:18:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM, C.W. Holeman II
<cwhii_gm at julianlocals.com> wrote:
> How is language handled in OLPC? Currently with Emle the user selects
> a language before being given an index of pages in the specified language.
>
> http://emle.sourceforge.net/emle020400/index.html

Sugar uses standard locale variables, but users may have other ideas.

I routinely switch keyboards, and occasionally UI language, and browse
materials in languages not related to my locale or current keyboard
layout. We are going to have a lot of very serious language students
in our target countries, not like the US. In many countries students
get 12 years of English, French, or Russian as a second language, and
in some countries it is expected that any educated person will speak
three or four languages fluently.

OLPC management and most of its development community have not
absorbed these facts.

> See also:
>
> http://emle.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Cwhii
>
> Emle has a lang directory which contains the language specific message files.
> The index.hmtl page examines the lang directory to determine which languages
> are supported then displays this list for the user to select from. How does
> this correspond to the structure expected by OLPC for content bundles?
>
> --
> C.W.Holeman II | cwhii at JulianLocals.com | http://JulianLocals.com/cwhii
>  To only a fraction of the human race does God give the privilege of
>  earning one's bread doing what one would have gladly pursued free, for
>  passion. I am very thankful. The Mythical Man-Month Epilogue/F.P.Brooks

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/