[OLPC library] Documentation Update (Seth Woodworth)

Seth Woodworth seth.woodworth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 04:20:28 EDT 2008

Great start to the discussion.  Comments, suggestions, and additions
in-line:

> [1] TOC
> [2] Introduction (based on FL's "Getting started with the XO")

I'm not too pleased with this text actually. It's legacy introduction that I
don't really feel exemplifies the OLPC/Sugar project.  A good intro belongs
here with some great photos from Peru or Mongolia, but with new text.

> [3] Safety Precautions (using the cool black/white graphics that you see
> when shutting down an XO)

A 'page' on the subject, or perhaps a half page in our hypothetical physical
structure.  I don't know the history of the iconic "Safety Precautions" nor
how much they are based on reality. But I'm more than willing to be
convinced otherwise.

> [4] First steps
>    - installing the battery (FL Appendices: Replacing the battery or
> Walter's http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/battery.shtml in a
> print-ready version)
>    - connecting the AC adapter to charge the battery (FL Appendices:
> Charging the XO battery)
>    - opening the XO (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/index.shtml
> with the cool graphics from
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/OpeningXO)
>    - power on (see link above)

This is the beauty of FM's remixing.  For first-boot documentation we can
skip this section.  Presumably someone will have figured this out if they
can view the docs.

This is a good candidate for replacing the single fold page that was shipped
with G1G1-v1

> [5] Hardware Overview
>    - list of specifications
>    - features (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/features.shtml)
>    - ports (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/externalports.shtml)
>    - keyboard / touchpad (again, Walter's documentation at
> http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/keyboard.shtml in a print-ready
> version)

I disagree for three reasons:
1.) Kids aren't going to grok or care
2.) We need to start talking about Sugar and the UI as soon as possible for
people who are literally on their first boot
3.) It's the wrong philosophical to focus on the hardware and secs instead
of the experience.  Also it brings up the opportunity for contrast with
conventional machines in numbers that don't matter.

> [6] First boot experience
>    - choosing name / color
> (http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/StartingXO)
>    - how to shutdown the machine
> [7] Overview of using the XO
>    - Home View (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/homeview.shtml)
>    - Neighborhood view

This sounds about right, we can tweak the specifics further as we go of
course.

Everyone please critique this further!