[OLPC library] Documentation Update (Seth Woodworth)

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 27 21:38:03 EDT 2008

Hi all,

tonight I've allowed myself to be somewhat inspired by ASUS'
documentation for their eee PC901 series and here's my current
suggestion for a TOC / skeleton that Seth mentioned in his previous
message. I'm mainly using the current manual on FL
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/Introduction) and Walter's
Getting Started Guide
(http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/index.shtml) as main references
here even though I'm of course aware that they're not necessarily 100%
up-to-date, especially when it comes to 8.2 features and re-designs.

[1] TOC
[2] Introduction (based on FL's "Getting started with the XO")
[3] Safety Precautions (using the cool black/white graphics that you see
when shutting down an XO)
[4] First steps
    - installing the battery (FL Appendices: Replacing the battery or
Walter's http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/battery.shtml in a
print-ready version)
    - connecting the AC adapter to charge the battery (FL Appendices:
Charging the XO battery)
    - opening the XO (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/index.shtml
with the cool graphics from
http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/OpeningXO)
    - power on (see link above)
[5] Hardware Overview
    - list of specifications
    - features (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/features.shtml)
    - ports (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/externalports.shtml)
    - keyboard / touchpad (again, Walter's documentation at
http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/keyboard.shtml in a print-ready
version)
[6] First boot experience
    - choosing name / color
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/StartingXO)
    - how to shutdown the machine
[7] Overview of using the XO
    - Home View (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/homeview.shtml)
    - Neighborhood view
(http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/neighborhoodview.shtml ||
http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Walter/sandbox/Neighborhood)
       - connecting to an access point
    - Group view (something a little more detailed than what's currently
available)
    - Activity View
(http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/activityview.shtml)
    - Frame (http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Walter/sandbox/Frame)
    - Journal (http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/journal.shtml)
[could this be moved to the activity tutorials section below?]
    - keyboard shortcuts
    - Updating the software (simpler and better version of
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths and
http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/TuteUpdating - also with
information on risks, xo-get, Bert's script, G1G1 packs, etc.)
[8] Activity tutorials
    - general intro about common features such as starting, closing,
saving to journal, sharing, joining, etc.
    - all the core activities explained in-depth
    - updating activities (depending on progress of current development
work for that feature)
    - pointer to [[Activities]] on wiki.laptop.org
[I] Troubleshooting
    - common issues
(http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/troubleshooting.shtml / [[FAQ]])
    - resources for more information (help@, wiki(s), forums, etc.)
[II] References
    - a ton of links to relevant information, wikis, Web sites,
mailing-lists, forums, etc.)

I hope this makes somewhat sense, if it doesn't then please attribute it
to the late hour... ;-)

Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback!

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer