[OLPC library] Lesson plans needed

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:59:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Tom Boonsiri <tom.boonsiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Amen on the evaluator's feedback, but did it really take an evaluator to
> bring that to everyone's attention? For everyone who has participated in the
> past 2 yrs+, I don't think it's news that we've failed to include educators
> into the fold. By all means, we are all educators in some sense just by
> participating in this project but we don't have the experience to
> effectively judge what an effective lesson plan should be. I applaud OLE
> Nepal for really striving to bring educators into the working group but I
> really think we need to suspend all application development efforts until
> we've identified more structure to the educational content to be delivered
> on the platforms. It needs to be much more than just another "cool" app
> churned out from a code jam.
>
> How will OLPC's XO supplement a formal curriculum? This needs to go beyond
> simply supplying a working internet connection. I think we'd all like to see
> an application and accompanying lesson plan that children will vest interest
> but also provide an opportunity to let kids run wild with the concepts and
> integrate their ideas with the rest of the community. I encourage the rest
> of the application developers to focus on the outline of a lesson plan prior
> to any software development. Right now projects are being hosted with rough
> definitions but no educational substance. I implore that as a requirement
> all developers should post a lesson plan along with the details of their
> application. This will really encourage those to seek the assistance of
> educators. We still have time to make this process less backwards with
> respect to our educational goals. It's one thing to hack 48 straight hours
> but I question the worth of that code at the end of the Jam. I don't intend
> to criticize but hopefully help others realign their efforts more closely
> with the educational goal.
>
> On another note, I've been working on a Health Educational bundle that will
> include both hardware, software, and hardcopy materials for distribution.

Would you be willing to pitch it to the National Education
Association? It should work with ordinary PCs with readily available
digital oscilloscope boards, USB-connected instruments, and data
acquisition software, such as National Instruments sells. In fact, we
should recruit them as a partner.

http://www.nea.org/classroom/sendyourlesson.html
Publish Your Lesson Plan on NEA.org!
NEA Members, send us a lesson plan, and we'll publish it on NEA.org.
If it works for you, it might work for someone else!

We have to open the discussion with American teachers about what OLPC
in Birmingham, Alabama, or New York City or Illinois means for the
future of their profession.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/