[OLPC library] Lesson plans needed (was Re: Release 8.2.0 --

Tom Boonsiri tom.boonsiri at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 17:02:58 EDT 2008

Amen on the evaluator's feedback, but did it really take an evaluator to
bring that to everyone's attention? For everyone who has participated in the
past 2 yrs+, I don't think it's news that we've failed to include educators
into the fold. By all means, we are all educators in some sense just by
participating in this project but we don't have the experience to
effectively judge what an effective lesson plan should be. I applaud OLE
Nepal for really striving to bring educators into the working group but I
really think we need to suspend all application development efforts until
we've identified more structure to the educational content to be delivered
on the platforms. It needs to be much more than just another "cool" app
churned out from a code jam.

How will OLPC's XO supplement a formal curriculum? This needs to go beyond
simply supplying a working internet connection. I think we'd all like to see
an application and accompanying lesson plan that children will vest interest
but also provide an opportunity to let kids run wild with the concepts and
integrate their ideas with the rest of the community. I encourage the rest
of the application developers to focus on the outline of a lesson plan prior
to any software development. Right now projects are being hosted with rough
definitions but no educational substance. I implore that as a requirement
all developers should post a lesson plan along with the details of their
application. This will really encourage those to seek the assistance of
educators. We still have time to make this process less backwards with
respect to our educational goals. It's one thing to hack 48 straight hours
but I question the worth of that code at the end of the Jam. I don't intend
to criticize but hopefully help others realign their efforts more closely
with the educational goal.

On another note, I've been working on a Health Educational bundle that will
include both hardware, software, and hardcopy materials for distribution.
I've pitched the idea to OLPC Peru, Thailand, Nepal, and Arjun will be
asking India's pilots on my behalf. Here's a snippet of our Introduction and
to those who are interested, feel free to email me or the below email to