[OLPC library] Someday we have to get organized (Edward Cherli

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 18:12:19 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 12:52 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> I like this idea for redesign (and something that can propagate
> through the Math/Health/Music pages...)

I volunteer to coordinate the process.

My experience includes

* Teaching: English in the Peace Corps; Buddhism; preschool
multilingual music; Chinese cram school; writing tutorials and FAQs
* Software Development: I-APL, a math language for schools, including
textbooks from Arithmetic to Calculus
* Tech writing: Eleven years in Silicon Valley, documenting hardware,
software, APIs for novices, engineers, sales & marketing, and
management
* Market Analysis: seventeen years writing about every kind of
hardware and software technology

I expect to be elected President of Silicon Valley LUG next week. (I'm
the only candidate with a VP running mate.)
I have started and run several non-profits, of which the latest is
Earth Treasury.

> For country-specific pages, perhaps we could make na example of Nepal,
> including the server, classroom, and activity work they have been
> doing -- since that is already openly available online (and being
> discussed here).

Also content in Nepalese.

> We are reorganizing the wiki tomorrow afternoon (join us at 1600 in
> #olpc and #olpc-content) through the weekend.

I'll be a bit late joining you due to a prior commitment, but I'll
have IRC on almost the whole weekend.

> Please add to the redesign thoughts here:
>     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Wiki_organization
>
> SJ
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 3:37 PM, David Greisen <dgreisen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Content - in progress: (an area for people working on each subject to hash
> > everything out, post working documents, etc.)
> > * Links to content-specific wiki-pages (e.g.
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health) *
> >
> > Countries: (area for people who are working on country-specific material, a
> > place for people from content areas to come get country-specific answers)
> >  * links to country-specif wiki-pages *
>
> The Participate page needs a second-tier of similarly clean pages for
> {content, software, educators, students} with this sort of
> information:  that would be a good model for layout and subdivision.
>
> > How to donate material
> >  * Blurb with link to extensive how-to *
> > How to contribute
> > * Blurb with link to extensive how-to *
> > How to translate
> > * Blurb with link to extensive how-to *
> >
> > I think everything currently on or linked to the content page could be
> > translated into this structure.
>
> Agreed.
>
> SJ

Edward Cherlin