[OLPC library] Lessons learned from Navajos - OLPC for kids - Graphics first, lessons second - Motivate the learner (Here's an example)

Brown, Henry, DoIT Henry.Brown at state.nm.us
Thu Jan 31 17:43:52 EST 2008

My wife was Computer Coordinator for Gallup Public Schools.1984-1993.
This school district covers an area the size of NJ.
She managed 28 schools in 1990. They have added a new school a year since.
It is mainly composed of Navajo children.
We could have used the OLPC then.
Today networks are available in all schools.
However curriculum is still lacking.
The digital divide continues.
They have basic health care and no physics in High School at BLM schools.
They live on the largest and poorest Indian reservation and largest radioactive waste dump.
Many Navajos live in nuclear tailings:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-navajo22nov22,0,7024230.story?page=1
They also own the largest coal reserves in America.
http://dinecare.org/
Dine Care is working on Scratch cartoon to educate kids about coal power on Navajo res. and global warming.
They are cannibalizing my fusion and power grid cartoons: (How about a Peruvian Mining cartoon?)
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/RangerRick/11273
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GeneMachine/34906
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GeneMachine/77493

Now we can add MATLAB/Linear Algebra global warming sim for high school kids.
For Navajo/Hispanic kids with Algebra:
http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_center/tutorials/mltutorial_launchpad.html

MATLAB for Problem Solving (Global Warming)

Excellent tutorial on MATLAB  and data management on global warming.
Contact:
Eul-Shik.Hong at mathworks.com

Can we create math/global warming cartoons for lower grades?

Ask any kid in 6th grade in US what is their main concern (Global Warming).
Ask kids on Navajo reservation? Ask kids in Peru?

Now Peru is OLPC biggest customer.
http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/olpc_in_south_america.html
They need software for kids on dangers of smelters and mining for kids.
http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2008a/012508/012508j.htm
How do we write software to educate and motivate these kids?
Political backlash? A cartoon can change minds?
Example:
My son went through defunct silver mines in Colorado on a tour.
He lost his ticket and the mine tour guide gave him a hammer and chisel and said he would come back for him.(as a joke)
Then he turned off the lights to let us see what mining was like in 1880's and that children did the work.
Peru still does this today. How does OLPC give kids an education in mine safety and math?
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/peru404/
http://www.worldlearning.org/wlid/news/2005/peru_mining_story.html
http://bmi.state.nm.us/msab.htm

Henry Brown