[OLPC library] Someday we have to get organized (Edward Cherli

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:36:28 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 12:09 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I really struggle w/ this myself. I have a lot of trouble communicating
> what we are doing in Nepal and finding out what others are up to. We
> need to facilitate better communication b/w the pilot countries, OLPC,
> and volunteers. I suspect that the solution is only partly technical.
> OLPC really needs a full-time community manager. SJ currently is the
> community manager and director of Content. He just has way too much on
> his plate.

That's why I am suggesting a bit more organization. Nothing prevents a
volunteer from putting up a hand to take on some part of the process.
But when that happens, the community needs to be able to find out who
that is, and what that person has offered to do. Wiki pages and the
mailing list can handle most of the communication of that sort, if we
are systematic about it.

> OLPC should really consider hiring a full-time Community Manager. That
> person would need to understand both the open-source hacker community
> and field educators who don't use IRC, wikis, etc. but really care about
> kids.

OLPC needs to hire a number of people to do a number of functions,
which I will write about a bit on the main list. I am still applying
to be Doc Lead, which means at the moment mainly coordinating the work
of volunteers, and getting more volunteers in. Although I will
definitely write some of what I think is essential content that nobody
else seems to know enough about, whether I get the job or not. If I
get the job, I won't have to do it in my Copious Free Time[tm].

> --
> Bryan W. Berry
> External Relations Manager
> OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:27:38 -0800
> From: "Edward Cherlin" <echerlin at gmail.com>
> Subject: [OLPC library] Someday we have to get organized
> To: "OLPC Library list" <library at lists.laptop.org>
>
> I'm having trouble between this list and the Wiki just finding out
> who's involved and what's going on. We also need some way to get
> information from children with laptops about the "user experience".
> Better still, we need to bring children into this conversation and
> into the writing projects.
>
> Could we talk about how to provide better information for each other?
>
> --
> Edward Cherlin
> End Poverty at a Profit by teaching children business
> http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."--Alan Kay

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/