[OLPC library] bibliographic information file updated on wiki

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Jan 31 10:35:20 EST 2008

The point of bib_info.xml is to make it easy for large-scale
repositories like DSpace, Fedora Repository Server, GLOBE, and ARIADNE
to serve up .xo bundles. For this reason we should use a simple standard
-- Dublin Core encoded in XML -- that plays well with others rather than
create our own.

there is more information on the wiki, please check it out and let me
know what you think.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bib_info

Elements
     1. TITLE Plain text title of the resource
     2. CREATOR Person(s) who created this work. Should change with
        every revision.*
     3. SUBJECT This is the same as Category, Should be one of top-level
        Categories from the Sample Library Info file
     4. DESCRIPTION Plain text description of the item. May include an
        abstract, table of contents, etc.
     5. PUBLISHER Organization that put this item together, i.e.
        University of Bombay, OXFAM, Doctors without Borders
     6. CONTRIBUTOR Person who contributed this item, should change
        every time a new individual revises the item
     7. DATE YYYY-MM-DD, YYYY-MM, or YYYY
     8. TYPE Basically a MIME Type
     9. FORMAT Format information specific to the type, such as 400 X
        500 pixels
    10. IDENTIFIER ID from external data provider, like a Course ID
    11. SOURCE URL to source document
    12. LANGUAGE ISO 639-1 codes
    13. RELATION Plain text description of how this item may relate to a
        collection of similar items in the library
    14. COVERAGE Period of time, geospatial dimensions, intended age
        group, etc.
    15. RIGHTS URL to license
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- Default

Notes:
* If you translate, revise, or modify someone else's work, you should
change the Creator's title to your own name. Here is a real world
scenario why this is important. If I search for "The Black Cat" by Edgar
Allan Poe, I want to get back the original work by Edgar Allan Poe that
all my friends have read. I should not read to the end of "The Black
Cat" to find there is a new ending added by SJ Klein. However, my desire
to read Edgar Allan Poe's original work, should not constrict SJ's, or
anyone else's, freedom to create a new version. When SJ changes "The
Black Cat" he should also change the CREATOR field and make sure the
acknowledgements file references Edgar's original work. We could not
find a more elegant way to do this without making the format of bib_info
much more complex. ---Bryan Berry

* The COPYRIGHT_TYPE is designated by a URL to the appropriate license

      * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- Default
      * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
      * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
      * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

 bib_info File Format

        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <dc
        xmlns:dc="http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/simpledc20021212.xsd">
        <dc:title>Coliseum in Rome</dc:title>
        <dc:creator>Thornton Staples</dc:creator>
        <dc:subject>images</dc:subject>
        <dc:description>Image of Coliseum in Rome</dc:description>
        <dc:publisher>University of Virginia Library</dc:publisher>
        <dc:contributor>Bryan Berry</dc:contributor>
        <dc:date>2008-01-30</dc:date>
        <dc:type>image</dc:type>
        <dc:format>image/jpeg</dc:format>
        <dc:identifier>ISBN:0385424728</dc:identifier>
        <dc:source>http://www.virginia.edu/pictures/</dc:source>
        <dc:language>en</dc:language>
        <dc:relation>University of Virginia Antiquities
        Collection</dc:relation>
        <dc:coverage>50-100 AD</dc:coverage>
        <dc:rights>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/</dc:rights>
        </dc>