[OLPC library] OLPC+MATLAB+Greene DNA Chip = Disease Tricorder for developing world

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Jan 28 21:36:01 EST 2008

Kate Davis wrote:
> At Yale, we run Matlab gridWorks (??), which is, as I understand, a
> distributed client-server type environment.
>
> Perhaps a slim Sugar client with a Matlab server might be a good option?
> There are some S+ c/s options, and I can check in to R.

R has several server options, although I've never used them. By the way,
there is also an interface between R and Python, called "RSPython". I've
never used it, being Python-illiterate. It lives at

http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/

There is some documentation on how to "port" Octave or Matlab code to R at

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/R-and-octave.txt

There is an R package to interface with Matlab at
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/R.matlab.html

and another at

http://www.omegahat.org/RMatlab/

Oh, yeah ... as long as we're talking R and BioConductor, a couple of
years ago the BioConductor team offered an advanced R programming
course. It's coming up again in a couple of weeks ... see

https://secure.bioconductor.org/SeattleFeb08/index.php

> Any computational biology projects are well beyond both the cpu and
> memory capabilities of the XO, but the XO might be an extremely useful
> remote data collection client, and analytic server client, in the right
> setup.

Getting this stuff to run on a school server is easy -- the question is
simply how big a school server one could deploy in the developing world.
Let me know if you want some help tweaking the R compiles. ;)