[OLPC library] XO doc status update, 1/25/08

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:09:22 EST 2008

Hi all -
It has been too long between status updates but I wanted to give you all an
idea of what's going on in one corner of the documentation world related to
OLPC.

Adam Hyde of Floss Manuals and I have been meeting regularly and work is
proceeding on the Floss Manuals version of the XO getting started guide. You
can see a published version here:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/OLPC_simple/Introduction

We plan to "freeze" this content on February 15th in order to publish a PDF
of it that will hopefully be available for purchase on Lulu.com (and also
amazon.com). I have been adding information about connectivity and file
browsing/storage and would love any additions that others want to add. Floss
Manuals is a neat infrastructure to use. Plus the work that people have been
doing on the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Troubleshooting_Guide and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity pages is just great.

After that Feb 15th freeze date, it would be neat to try out Floss Manual's
translation capabilities and recruit for translation again.

Near the end of February/beginning of March, we want to have a print layout
design done and Seth and I have been discussing this some. I'm just hoping
it fits into Seth's schedule. :)

I've sent emails to people who have volunteered (thanks to Adam Holt for the
forwards) to describe some of the documentation tasks that they could help
with. Here's the list I usually send out.

   1. Sign up for a Floss Manuals account at flossmanuals.net. Jump in
   with edits or additions at
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/OLPC_simple/WebHome
   . We hope to publish a PDF from those pages and likely sell it via
   LuLu.com which also means it's available on Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/>.
   Any pages you add give you copyright recognition on the page, which is nice.

   2. Feel free to edit or start a new page with a new audience in mind.
   I've started an Educator's Guide at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educators_guide
   . I am way out of my league writing about constructivism and
   intervention guides (lesson plans) but I figure I have to start somewhere.
   :)
   3. I also want to link to as many additional reading materials about
   constructivism and how to teach with that learning theory in the forefront.
   There's a nice post over at OLPC News that has great reading
materials<http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/peripherals/olpc_christmas_shopping_list.html>and
ideas for accessories. I'd also study the
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_activity_ideas page as well.
   4. And there's always the Simplified User Guide at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Simplified_user_guide
   and read about the audiences at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manual. Edit
   or add sections as you see fit. I'm going to try to keep it in sync with the
   Floss Manuals edition but I'm sure there is synchronizing to do still.
   5. These are just ideas and starting points, but if you have other
   areas of interest, just let us know. There's an e-zine as well if writing
   articles is something that interests you - see
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Weekly_zine.

As a side note, I'm planning an Austin XO user group meeting Sat. February
23 at 10 am at the Spicewood Springs library.

Have a great weekend if that's upcoming in your time zone. :)

Anne