[OLPC library] Fwd: [bytesforall_readers] Attend IIT classes on YouTube

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 01:57:59 EST 2008

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: parthadhaka <parthadhaka at yahoo.com>
Date: Jan 23, 2008 7:28 PM
Subject: [bytesforall_readers] Attend IIT classes on YouTube
To: bytesforall_readers at yahoogroups.com

Attend IIT classes on YouTube: How does it feel to attend classes in
India's most sought-after institution? Find out on YouTube.

For the last month, 13 video courses in science and engineering of
the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) have been on free trial
runs on YouTube (youtube.com/nptelhrd.com). So, you can sit in
Ahmedabad or Amsterdam and login in to 40 streaming hours of IIT
classroom teaching video. Even classes at the Indian Institute of
Science (IISc), Bangalore, will get on YouTube soon.

Taking a cue from US universities who post course content on
YouTube, Krishnan said, "Since our bandwidth is low and a bigger one
is more expensive, we decided to experiment with YouTube. "The video
courses will be permanently posted on the site after the project is
firmed up in less than one month," said Mangala Sunder Krishnan,
coordinator of web, IIT-Madras. Come March, 110 video courses,
spanning 40 hours, will be ready for viewing.

The project is part of the National Project on Technology Enhanced
Learning (NPTEL), a joint venture between the seven IITs and IISc,
funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.

Taking a cue from US universities who post course content on
YouTube, Krishnan said, "Since our bandwidth is low and a bigger one
is more expensive, we decided to experiment with YouTube. Not only
will this be available online, it will be free."

Free online education is being seen as a means to fill the vacuum
left by an acute shortage of teachers in various disciplines, and
the fact that only 10 per cent of India's five lakh engineering
students are "employable".

NPTEL will also allow colleges to use the course material for in-
house students, to help students without Internet access.

"While it will be free for government-aided institutions, private
institutions will be charged a one-time fee of Rs 1 lakh," said
Krishnan.
With SNDT Women's University becoming NPTEL's "user institute" on
Wednesday, 220 of its affiliated colleges will be able to access the
course content online. University Pro Vice-Chancellor Professor SS
Mantha said: "By March end, all 110 course contents will be viewed
online by our students. We will also create course content for NPTEL
in disciplines like pharmacy, nursing and management."

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print.aspx?Id=00d02ff7-d10d-
4185-b80a-8ece2449220e

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: