[OLPC library] Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:40:25 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 9:26 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> Nepali wikipedia is great as an encyclopedia but not for storing source
> documents. When you look at wikipedia it usually has external links for
> source documents.

Check out

* Wikibooks  Open-content textbooks
* Wikiversity  Collaborative learning
* Commons  Media files

Wikiversity says, "Learning materials can be audio and video files,
text files and are generally static learning objects that can be used
either by Wikiversity participants or downloaded for use at
bricks-and-mortar educational institutions."

Currently supported languages include

# Arabic
# Slavic
# French
# Brythonic Celtic Languages Division

    * The Breton Language
    * The Cornish Language

# German
# Hebrew
# Italian
# Klingon
# Tolkien
# Southeast Asian Languages (Vietnamese, Filipino/Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesiya)
# British novel
# British poetry
# American poetry

Also, talk to Project Gutenberg about creating a Nepali archive.

> Also, many of the source documents may not be available under Creative
> Commons Attribution-SA. We will push for CC-by every chance we get but a
> lot of copyright holders

What is the term of copyright in Nepal?

Are any of the materials you want copyrighted elsewhere with longer
protection? (American scholarly editions, perhaps)

> will probably require the No
> Derivatives-NonCommerical clauses.

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Creative_Commons
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:License_tags

Yes, Wikiversity accepts only two varieties of CC license.

Creative Commons - Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
Creative Commons - Attribution 2.5

> Alexander Todorov wrote:
> >Bryan Berry wrote:
> >
> > 2. Digital Library
> > There isn't much Nepali digital content on the Internet so part of OLE
> > Nepal's work will be to digitize poems, literature, histories, etc.
> and
> > store them "somewhere." Finding the right "somewhere," turned out to
> be
> > more difficult than we thought. We needed a repository that could
> > support multiple front-ends, w/ simpler front-ends for novice users
> and
> > more complex front-ends for the people that will load content into the
> > repository.
> >

> Errr, not sure if I really follow but... Why not contribute the
> material
> to the Nepali version of Wikipedia? Isn't that the primary source for
> content for the XO? This way everybody benefits.
>
> --
> Bryan W. Berry
> External Relations Manager
> OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org