[OLPC library] Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:41:07 EST 2008

Wikipedia and sister projects are good global places to store this
sort of material, if not currently the friendliest places to access or
contribute it.  MediaWiki doesn't currently provide dynamic interfaces
(such as different views), or easy facilities for making offline
snapshots. That said, it sounds as though it would be a fine candidate
for a leaf of a global repository.  Bryan, when the use cases for
interfaces and contribution are well defined, it would be worth
looking into what that would look like as an interface to Wikisource.

Alexander, If the goal is to make a 'private' repository that isn't
really shared with the rest of the world,  or to gather a local
collection that you don't want otutsiders to be able to add to / edit,
then you might be better off with a more traditional repository system
with structured data.

In regions where schools are bound to be offline most of the time and
limited to snapshots of any global 'net resource, native support for
'checking out' and 'checking in' subcollections is useful.

SJ