[OLPC library] [Localization] Lozalization of Library and components

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:21:04 EST 2008

Hi,
Some questions.

1. What command is used to generate the POT file ? (I need to
regenerate the POT periodically in the Pootle server to ensure that
the new strings are covered - there's a cron job which runs a few
scripts to do this every day at midnight atm)

2.  library.pot is in library-activity/library-common. Shouldn't it be
in some kind of po/ directory ? If not - where should the po files go
so that the build system can pick them up.

3. Tokens seem to be used for the msgids (eg: Books long_name). The
actual string is put in the msgstr. IMO, this can cause confusion. For
example, once the msgstr is filled up by a translator - a subsequent
reviewer has no way of knowing the actual string unless s/he looks at
the original POT file. A better way would be to have the actual
strings as comments in the POT, ie:

# literature & reference
#: config/categories.info:4
msgid "Books long_name"
msgstr ""

The best way of course, is to have the string itself in the msgid itself - like:

#: config/categories.info:4
msgid "literature & reference"
msgstr ""

Thanks,