[OLPC library] Ahoy from Cambodia

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 00:29:20 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 7:58 PM, Paul Stewart <paul at mouthtosource.net> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> It's my first post here so be gentle...

Sure. It's called collaborative discovery.

> I've just finished a CD entitled 'Le Grand Tour d'Angkor' and it's an
> interactive panoramic tour of the Temples of Angkor here in Cambodia.

> I would like to offer this content to the OLPC project (particularly for the
> Cambodian contingent) and would be glad to offer the hosting.

Thanks.

> ... And while I'm here, how would I initiate an exchange program for OPLC
> participants (of mixed media) where each class room writes a few stories
> about their local river? A simple comparison between a class/group in one
> country and another?

You can start with a Wiki page. Have each class put a link on that
page to their own page with their own story.

> Everyone's got a local river and I'm happy to host this too. Infact, that's
> the whole point of Mouth to Source.
>
> I would like to encourage all of us (and provide the publishing mechanism)
> to be guardians of our environment and to use water (rivers and canals) as
> the metaphor, simply travelling the globe (and each and every river on it)
> upstream and downstream.
>
> Take a peek at www.mouthtosource.net/waterlog if you have a mo.
>
> You can travel over 2,000 kms of The Mekong from Vietnam to close to the
> border with China (requires QuickTime).
>
> Only another 2,400 kms to go!

Please take a look at the Yukon River Intertribal Resource Council
http://www.yritrc.org/. It is an organization of 63 First Peoples and
tribes in Canada and Alaska, dedicated to cleaning up the Yukon so
that people can drink from it again. I met their President, Peter
Captain, jr, at the International Symposium on Digital Earth last
year.

Also, http://www.riverkeepers.org/, whose lead attorney is Robert
Kennedy, jr, author of Crimes Against Nature.

I and my organization, Earth Treasury, would like to see our
schoolchildren take the lead in creating such organizations worldwide.
They could contribute videos of their rivers to YouTube and to Google
Earth, and we could set up a Web site to aggregate and analyze water
data, and then map the likely sources of contaminants to aid local
cleanup efforts and raise global consciousness. Timepedia, a public
repository of geographic time series data, is interested in assisting
such efforts. I am copying Ray Cromwell of Timepedia on this message.
(Timepedia also offers paid consulting services to users of its data.)

> Best regards and thanks to all meantime, Paul
>
> P.s. This is all self funded so there are no adverts and there is no
> corporate involvement. It's a project I believe in 150%.

I believe in working with non-evil corporations. How about if I can
find you an ecological tourism company? Would you let them advertise
tours?

> www.mouthtosource.net | For the greatest journeys on Earth
>
> 'geotourism (n): Tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical
> character of a place -- its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage,
> and the well-being of its residents.'
>
> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of
> which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If
> an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please
> notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended
> recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on
> this e-mail.

Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/