[OLPC library] age appropriate development

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:48:09 EST 2008

Kent,

Have you tried the library mailing list?
(lists.laptop.org/listinfo/library) It tends to have more
education-related discussion along with people with instructional
design & education backgrounds that might be able to fill you in on
what's been done so far with age-related categorizations. Copying your
email to that list. (Library folks, please jump in!)

(Personally, I'm not a huge fan of age-targeting - what's more
relevant is the "functionalities" that tend to develop with each age
along the Piagetian (or other) continuums, such as... 7 years olds are
typically capable of this level of abstract thinking, 5 year olds tend
to understand conservation, and so forth. This isn't necessarily tied
to a particular age, though; you could have a 6 year old who doesn't
get conservation and a 4 year old who does. But that may be just me.)

-mel