[OLPC library] Math curriculum for the XO

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:49:13 EST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 10:25 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 2008 6:56 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:

[snip]

> >> there's no reason I can think of why that
> >> power shouldn't be available to the teachers and more advanced students.
> >
> > Hear, hear! Although we will have to try the experiment in order to
> > find out at what age children can begin to make good use of such
> > systems.
>
> Well, I can't speak for the developing world, but certainly by the early
> teens here in the USA, a child who is going to end up as a
> scientist/engineer/mathematician will be ready to start exploring them,
> provided the teachers are there.

Or as in my case, even without a teacher.

What I mean, though, is that we know children can handle programming
with variables in third and fourth grade. So why not algebra,
particularly if they don't have to do the manipulations with paper and
pencil? But can we go even further?

Omar Khayyam Moore showed that two-year-olds could learn to read and
write if they didn't have to form the letters themselves. See the
Constructionism Wiki page for the reference. We don't know what
children who can read at two could do with computerized math
instruction. Now we can find out, if we aren't so hidebound as to say
that we shouldn't do that to children, even if they want it.

> I may be unusual, but I was ready for a
> "real computer" at 13. That was in 1955, unfortunately. :) So I built
> one out of wood and beads.

I got a Brainiac kit and learned the rudiments of switching circuits.
My father got started in vacuum tubes on the MIT Whirlwind.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/