[OLPC library] Math curriculum for the XO

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Feb 2 13:25:19 EST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 6:56 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:

> There are several lighter-weight (2-3 MB) GUI frontends to the
> heavy-duty CAS packages. I haven't checked, but I would think that
> they could be used to connect to an instance running on a server. Even
> if they can't, it should be much easier to modify them than to start
> over.

wxMaxima is the best I've found so far. I don't know if it can talk to a
Maxima server on a different machine, but as you say, it should be easy
to modify it if it doesn't. Axiom is evolving its GUI from the current
Hyperdoc, a home-grown X-based GUI, into one that connects via Firefox.
But that's really cutting edge and probably not baked enough for the XO.
But the underlying Axiom engine is definitely worth having on a server.

>> there's no reason I can think of why that
>> power shouldn't be available to the teachers and more advanced students.
>
> Hear, hear! Although we will have to try the experiment in order to
> find out at what age children can begin to make good use of such
> systems.

Well, I can't speak for the developing world, but certainly by the early
teens here in the USA, a child who is going to end up as a
scientist/engineer/mathematician will be ready to start exploring them,
provided the teachers are there. I may be unusual, but I was ready for a
"real computer" at 13. That was in 1955, unfortunately. :) So I built
one out of wood and beads.