[OLPC library] [laptop.org #27437] Free mp3 files to learn 40 languages

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Wed Dec 17 01:04:02 EST 2008

I downloaded the Latin American Spanish lessons and found them quite good.
They weren't mere words, but rather sentences related to the topic of the
lesson, by both a male and a female speaker.  The only negative was that a
few of the lessons were somewhat adult in their topic (e.g. useful phrases
in a nightclub) and a few other lessons taught you to ask if your
conversation partner smoked, or whether it was allowed to smoke.  Frankly, I
was planning to take these in the car to improve my Spanish.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM,  <content at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Hello Hannes,
> >
> > This looks like a lovely project.
>
> I downloaded the files and listened to some of them. They consist
> entirely of words spoken first in English, then in German. The only
> value I find is that there are several speakers, male and female, with
> what I take to be different regional dialects. Unless the license
> would enable us to segment the files into entries in a small bilingual
> spoken dictionary.
>
> > Thank you for the contact and the
> > offer. Are your Goethe Tests good things to distribute along with the
> > audio?  What copyright license do you provide your work under?  All of
> > our activities and collections are licensed for free reuse.
> >
> > You may also want to write to our library list, library at lists.laptop.org
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Samuel Klein
> > One Laptop per Child
> >
> > On Fri Dec 12 18:17:48 2008, info at goethe-verlag.com wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We would like to contribute for free our nonprofit audio files to learn
> 40
> >> languages to your project: www.book2.de
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Hannes
> >>

> >> Dr. Johannes Schumann
> >> Goethe-Verlag GmbH
> >> Postfach 152008
> >> 80051 Muenchen
> >> Germany
> >> Fax +49-(0)89-74790012
> >> www.goethe-verlag.com
> >>

> > --
> > sj at laptop.org
> >

> --
> Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
> And Children are my nation.
> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai

"Don't think for a minute that power concedes. We have to work like our
future depends on it."  -- Barack Obama