[OLPC library] goal setting and scope for BookSprint

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:38:01 EDT 2008

Hi all,
Adam Hyde and I wanted to describe our scope, goals and set
expectations for next week's BookSprint.

We're writing for kids, parents, and teachers, keeping in mind that
kids will teach other kids. (Side note: I'm reading Three Cups of Tea:
One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time and it
has helped me envision the kids and schools we're writing for.)

We discussed whether the school server is within the scope of this set
of manuals (which are remixable). As Walter put it, a classroom
framework for the guide which would include modules (I think he means
manuals) on the desktop, connectivity, activities, content and
libraries, and maintenance (e.g., backups, etc.). I'd like to keep the
school server in mind as we go during the week but we haven't
specifically set one up for our use, yet.

So, with these expectations in mind, here's what we hope to accomplish
in 5 days.

1. Extend and deepen details on the current set of information,
updating for version 8.2.0. We have 8 XOs installed with joyride-2301.
(BTW, I love the Control Panel and ability to download Activities and
just generally love the OS updates.)
See http://sugarlabs.org/go/DocumentationTeam#User_Manuals for the
outlines for the XO and Sugar info sets.

Returning to the school server - the current doc set does discuss the
school server but only in passing. We can place more detail in the
maintenance and backup chapters when we update them. I'd like input
here.

2. Add:
Troubleshooting (esp. for connectivity)
Repair (dis-assembly with photos)
More detailed support-type information (from the RTFM list by Adam's team)
Glossary (Is there a way to use a Pootle file for starting the English
glossary so that the multiple languages would be easier to follow
along? David Farning, is that something you could research for us?)

3. Document Activities in more detail from an end-users perspective
with the kids/parent/teachers audience in mind.
Apparently reading about Activities is very important to kids in
Uruguay according to the analytics on the wiki.laptop.org site.

Here is my first attempt at a prioritized list of Activities for next
week. Note that all these listed Activities already have a chapter
started in FLOSS Manuals. The task of "Documenting Activities" would
go further towards manuals for each Activity as opposed to just one
chapter.
Primary:
Journal
Browse (with much as much emphasis on Content and ebooks as Internet?)
Record
Write
Terminal
Chat
Draw

Secondary (maybe make these a priority for a second Sprint):
Memorize
Calculate
TamTam Jam/Edit/SynthLab/Mini
Turtle Art
Pippy
Measure (waveforms)
Acoustic Tape Measure

Already has a lot written but we may want to bring some content into
FLOSS, I'm just not sure where to prioritize it:
Etoys

What activities might we be missing? The MaMa Media Creative Center is
discussed as an example of what you'd want to download and install to
add to your "original" set of Activities.

Honestly, I think we are going to have an amazing week. We can discuss
this scope more on this list and plan to have more discussion at 3:00
Sunday afternoon at the hotel.

Spanish translation is a high priority and Yama Ploskonka is learning
more about FLOSS Manuals and hopes to have enough bilingual
translators on hand to translate chapters as we mark them ready.

Thanks for reading and I welcome your feedback.

Anne