[OLPC library] Preferred font size for ebooks on the XO?

Peter Hollings phollings at ipt.org
Tue Aug 19 12:31:27 EDT 2008

I think this discussion misses the most important factor which should govern
the choice of ebook format: In what format(s) are ebooks actually being
created? Unless OLPC wants to undertake an epublishing venture it would be
wise to choose a format consistent with actual digital libraries.

The ANSI-recognized National Information Standards Organization sets
standards in this area and their "A Framework of Guidance for Building Good
Digital Collections" (available at http://www.niso.org/publications/rp/ )
provides guidance for digital libraries. This framework is widely observed
(see the Digital Library Federation,
http://www.diglib.org/standards/imlsframe.htm). The Recommendation makes
distinctions between "born digital" materials and non-digital source
materials such as printed matter, and it includes recommended formats for a
broad range of media types. For born digital textual materials the
recommendations are basically either PDF/A or XML based standards like the
Open epub format (see http://www.openebook.org/). For non-digital source
printed materials they recommend TIFF or JPEG2000 formats. See the
discussion beginning on page 26 for recommended formats.

One advantage of following the NISO standards is the interoperability
provided with other libraries. For example, The Digital Library of India -
http://dli.iiit.ac.in/ -- is embarked on building a million book collection.
OLPC would thus have access to a large store of materials without the
up-front trouble of digitizing them. The Digital Library of India uses the
TIFF format with an OCRd text version to provide searchability. A TIFF
rendering browser plugin is used for display. I'm not sure why the Indian
project gave such priority to TIFF, but I suspect that most of the matter
that is either out of Copyright or out of print matter that could be freely
licensed was available only on printed pages that had to be scanned.
Conversely, I suspect that most of the born digital material is so recent
that it is protected by Copyright.

Another set of considerations that relates to file formats might be the
choice of library software, e.g., Greenstone {open source project funded by
United Nations}, Dspace {MIT/Hewlett Packard}, to support functions such as
a searchable catalog, subject classification, rights management (if needed),
etc.

Peter Hollings

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:37:59 -0400 "Eben Eliason" <eben at laptop.org> wrote:
>It's unfortunate that our ebook reader doesn't support formats that can
reflow.  Perhaps we can look at changing that in a future version.
>It seems somewhat important to have if we want to make it a valuable
replacement for books for people of all ages.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:17:50 -0700, "Edward Cherlin" <echerlin at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Is that a documented decision or an opinion? I know of a number of ebooks
in PDF format in Sugar distributions, and none in HTML.