[OLPC library] Pilot pages and Schools on the Wiki

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:12:51 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Seth Woodworth wrote:
> > Recently professor Verma from San Fransisco started documenting his
> > plans for a pilot in Bhagmalpur India [1].  I'm working on some
> > wiki-organization and I thought that this page needs a more
> > descriptive home, but I want some feedback first.
> >

> I'd like to hear more about this...
> > I found this page [2] referring to other India schools and they all
> > seem to have a different naming structure.  I really liked where the
> > page for Nashik [3] resides at /OLPC India/Nashik.  If no one has any
> > complains, I would like to move deployments or potential deployments
> > from India to a sub page of the OLPC India/.
> >
> > Is this acceptable?
> >

> Yes, its fine by me. It makes sense to put the pilots under OLPC India.
>
> Thanks,
> Sameer

I am very much in favor of using sub-page organization for these pages
OLPC_Country/School.  While it makes sense to adopt some style elements from
Wikipedia, others (like the avoidance of sub-pages) need to be reconsidered
in light of the different uses of the MediaWiki software (they are building
an encyclopedia, we are creating a shared information resource and
collaborative workspace, non-encyclopedic) Furthermore, the OLPC wiki has
some sensible emphasis on coordination by geographic area for the purposes
of leveraging grassroots.  One feature of sub-page usage that is very nice
is the default navigation link to "parent" page.

Another approach that is complimentary to the grouping under OLPC_Country
(where it makes sense) is the use of purpose-built navigation templates to
tie thematically related pages together in a simplified navigation group.

These are some examples of that sort and I think they serve a useful purpose
to improve quick navigation within their thematic areas.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:OLPC_Oceania
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:Spanish_America
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:Pilot_school

I think combinations of the two approaches 1) sub-page grouping 2) cross
sub-page linking with themed navigation templates produces a fairly
discoverable collection of related information.

cjl