[OLPC library] Things I would like taken away from the wiki: Sign-up lists

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Fri Aug 1 17:41:49 EDT 2008

> > create a bot or tool that makes this ad-hoc list broadcasting function
> > (including making sure people are notified via email), I would be
> ecstatic.
>
> Such bots are in existance on the english wikipedia, they are also open
> source.
>
> The issue is that people don't know how easy it is to start a lists.l.o
> mailing
> list, we need to make that more obvious. That could fix much of this issue.

Yes, they exist.  But to create and maintain a bot, and then teaching people
to use it, and giving permissions to post to given lists of people?  It's a
complex structure that does not currently exist and would be *more* work to
administer by hand.

My point remains.  The lists that exist on the wiki now, detract from
volunteering and currently provide no benefit as currently used.