[OLPC library] Get involved - Measure Activity on the XO (Edward Cherlin)

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Thu Apr 10 13:53:45 EDT 2008

All that would be needed is a
thermistor
2 wires
1 3.5mm audio connector

Use either Measure, or write your own app using the Measure audio-grabbing class
For example TurtleArtwithSensors Activity uses the Measure audiograb
class and it is as simple as
set_sensor_type ()    (there are basically just 2 types, resistive
and voltage type)
get_sensor_value()

and you have the sensor values.

you can, depending upon the characteristics of the sensor, callibrate
the values to give a direct readout of temperature.

Im working on a text box in Measure which would give a more clear
indication of actual values along with the waveform displayed. The
values are perhaps of much more significance in the case of DC
voltages obtained from sensors.

The simplicity of Measure is in the fact that one is connecting the
sensors to the Mic-in jack, as opposed to the USB. The software part
is also thus more transparent and simpler...

Im also working on a revamping of the old measure wiki page
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure) and work in progress is here
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure/New_temp

Suggestions, feedback, contributions most welcome!

regards
Arjun