[OLPC library] Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn on HB5000

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 23:42:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Jameson Chema Quinn
<jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:
> This is fascinating. I would say that the first triaging you should do to
> make this a reality for September is to reduce the number of grade levels
> you target to an absolute minimum. More than 3 would be crazy, two is
> better.

This is presently set up to be the choice of the schools or school
districts. But we can of course inform them of the resources currently
available, and what might become available.

> Possibilities:
>  6/7: pros: 2/3 of the students in a junior high, yet you can count on
> having most of them there for 2 or 3 years. cons: late grade = lots of
> testing; jealous 8th graders.
>
> 3/4 or 4/5 : good ages, but not good saturation.
>
> 3/6 : good variety, more logistics.
>
> Once you decide this, a lot more will follow.

I want to do K-2. The laptop works well for illiterate users. It has a
minimum of text and a maximum of icons in the Sugar User Interface,
and we will have literacy software built in. I also want to do 3-5,
the ages where we know we can have the maximum impact with programming
in Smalltalk. We will have to have the whole discussion, and not try
to optimize beforehand.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."--Donald Knuth,
quoting C. A. R. Hoare

> Also I had a link for you: http://www.ck12.org/ <-- just starting up but has
> some funding and possibly an inside track to getting more, trying to make
> open-source textbooks attractive to public schools, worth giving them a call
> to see if they are interested in (ready to) collaborating with you. Illinois
> would definitely be a feather in their cap. You need all the help you can
> get with can get with content.

Excellent. They are just up the road from me. I'll go see them right away.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/