[OLPC library] Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn on HB5000

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Tue Apr 8 22:59:19 EDT 2008

This is fascinating. I would say that the first triaging you should do to
make this a reality for September is to reduce the number of grade levels
you target to an absolute minimum. More than 3 would be crazy, two is
better. Possibilities:
6/7: pros: 2/3 of the students in a junior high, yet you can count on having
most of them there for 2 or 3 years. cons: late grade = lots of testing;
jealous 8th graders.

3/4 or 4/5 : good ages, but not good saturation.

3/6 : good variety, more logistics.

Once you decide this, a lot more will follow.

Also I had a link for you: http://www.ck12.org/ <-- just starting up but has
some funding and possibly an inside track to getting more, trying to make
open-source textbooks attractive to public schools, worth giving them a call
to see if they are interested in (ready to) collaborating with you. Illinois
would definitely be a feather in their cap. You need all the help you can
get with can get with content.

Good luck!

Jameson