[OLPC library] Curly Logo / OLPC

David Jones drj at pobox.com
Thu Nov 29 05:39:52 EST 2007

On 28 Nov 2007, at 20:28, Ian Bicking wrote:

> Julius B. Lucks wrote:
>> I am cc'ing the games and library lists to put you in contact with
>> other OLPC developers. SJ Klein asks what license Curly Logo is
>> available under, and if you have not chosen a license, would you
>> consider a free license.
>> You can sign up for the OLPC developers program to have access to
>> a machine at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_program,
>> although I am not sure of the availability at the moment - someone
>> from the list would know more than I do on this point.
>> The Unicode ability is very nice as one of the strong focuses for
>> OLPC activities is internationalization.
>
> I notice it already has support for ÷ and ×, which coincidentally
> the XO has keys for.

Perhaps not such a coincidence.  Part of my background motivation for
Curly Logo was accessibility.  That led me to think that using *
and / instead of × and ÷ was a barrier to understanding: before using
almost any computer programming language we have to explain that *
denotes multiplication and / denotes division, it's just an
unnecessary hurdle.  Of course my keyboard doesn't have × and ÷
keys.  I'm sure similar thoughts occurred to the designers of OLPC.

drj