[OLPC library] Library Digest, Vol 8, Issue 7

Ed Montgomery edm at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:03:35 EST 2007

Just a quick note: ;-)

I don't use Word (nor do I intend to purchase it).  I
use OpenOffice for any kind of wordprocessing, PDF
work, etc. and due to the lack of openness of Word,
when somethings are converted, they are distorted.
Hence, I'm fine with using open document formats,
wikis, etc., but using Word is not in the spirit of
the OLPC, (i.e. open education, formats, systems,
etc.), and introduces a whole raft of unnecessary
problems.

For those of you unfamiliar with it (since you are
probably using Windows, N.B. OLPC dev takes place
using linux, etc.), may I suggest that you download
the free and open OpenOffice suite and use that, to
remain compatible with developers, etc.
http://www.openoffice.org/

Or perhaps use Abiword, which, it is my current
understanding (but correct me if I'm wrong), will be
on the OLPC.
http://www.abisource.com/

Which is also available, free, open, etc. on Macs,
windows and linux, which also eliminates all of the
problems associated with using Word.