Community map/email lists

tekelsey at gmail.com tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:17:50 EST 2007

(sj as per request am sending to library list, though it seems like it would make sense to have a list for infrastructure/documentation. I understand about having a lot of lists, but on the flip side, less consolidation will make it harder for people to find archived info - and it would not seem to lead to a relative increase in emails. At one point I suggested to kim that I could draft a suggested community taxonomy, and she seemed to think it helpful. This could be used to presuppose email lists, and the etiquette for launch could be to send a "meta" email announcement to all lists when a new list is there.

Then if you like I could make an email alias that would be subscribed to all lists, so that staff could send a broadcast if needed.)

--------

Anne,

I don't know if it exists, prolly needs a tree structure nav, wondering if you would feel ok about adding a small section on Documentation page of "Documentation requests and ideas" and then a bullet on an org chart / community map. If it doesn't exist it should, at least as a framework, so people can at least learn about the staff, inasmuch as appropriate and not covered on laptop.org, and vise versa, so staff could see various projects, contacts and so on.

For example, even if they are used simply to feed people to the wiki, communities and small groups will form in big spaces spontaneously, such as Yahoo, Myspace, facebook, and google groups. They've already started forming, and it will probably be helpful to staff to have an easy way of seeing what's up if they need to.

what triggered this is the email below. It was interesting to learn about this person.

It may also be helpful for us to note and eventually try to find someone to help make a wiki welcome kit, like even down to the kid level. That's the whole point of this thing, so there should also be a wiki for kids, or at least a wiki section.