OLPC/P2P

Michel Meulpolder michel.meulpolder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 06:16:54 EST 2007

Hello SJ,

> Next steps: we could use specific use cases.  What are the use cases
> for which Tribler and P2P-Fusion are designed, what are
> expectations of network connectivity, what are expectations of
> availability of material?

I think for OLPC the core of the Tribler technology is most relevant.
The core focusses on exploiting the available resources as
efficiently as possible, with highest possible performance. This goal
is basically the same for all connectivity/availability scenarios:
getting the most out of what's available. On top of this technology,
various Tribler and Fusion applications are built which focus on
modern online social-aware users in many different contexts. In my
view the core technology can perfectly be used for new applications
that suit the specific conditions/expectations of OLPC target use. We
can take OLPC use cases as a focus and see how Tribler technology can
be customized.

Regarding availability: One of my research-topics is automatic
replication to make sure that content is always available in the case
of sporadic connections. Peers can add bandwidth for specific content
based on real-time popularity statistics.

> One problem we need to solve is how to discover material on a
> sporadically connected network, and how to efficiently track where
> such material might be found.  The interlibrary loan system and
> Tribler handle this in different ways; we may want something
> different from either.

The tracking problem itself is in current systems still done with a
central component (a tracker like in BitTorrent). Online peers
automatically notify the tracker with what they have available. The
metadata contains tracker-addresses, so that the requesting peer
automatically asks the tracker for addresses of peers that share the
required content. In practice, this setup works very well, and
trackers can easily be set up for both small and large situations
(ranging from private LAN to internet-wide). Due to the very small
amount of traffic for tracking information, such a tracker would
become a bottleneck only in very extreme and unlikely cases. However,
we are currently working on fully distributed tracking/discovery
protocols as well.

- Michel