Speex encoded audiobooks

Philip Macpherson philipmac1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 01:29:41 EDT 2007

I've being experimenting with different level of compression with the speex
codec.  And I've made a 2 hour 59 minute copy of Alice in Wonderland take
11.5Mb's of space (which can be further compressed for storage in a .tar.bz2
at 9.7mb's)  The quality of the audio, while not perfect is perfectly
listenable to (the size can be further reduced but I have found this size
the best trade off).  Here is a .spx file as a audio sample
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6vgpmc.  And here is a uncompressed .wav to
demonstrate the quality to those who don't have the speex codec installed.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxnhtr

The audiobook is made from librivox.org which releases publicly read audio
books into the public domain.  They have numerous other children's books and
short stories, which I'd be happy to compress down if it would help the OLPC
library.

Philip