OLPC and Library Management - what is the aim?

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 03:43:15 EST 2006

On 12/27/06, Adam Robinson <arobin30 at une.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not clear of the goals of content work on B1.
>
> The web is full of useful information in an evolving model, including sites like Wikipedia. The challenge is what to filter.

Some might say the challenge is to remove the impression that a filter
is needed at all. But that gets into an off-topic discussion.

> The governments who buy B1 will determine curriculum and hence content. The challenge is to provide the resources for those governments to build information from (since as I understand it governments are the primary target customers for the B1).

Is there any work/interest in having a unified content management
system of some sort, or are each government assumed to roll their own?
If many groups are doing the same, basic thing, we might as well see
if we can help them collaborate by using a common infrastructure to
organize and manage their content.

> Based on this, is the goal to provide material that governments can use? Or a starter set of cached material, or links to that material on a web server? I don't think there can be a goal to control all content on the internet (though tell me if you disagree).

The Content guys have worked on a partial Encyclopedia of articles
from Wikipedia that will be included as part of the base content
library (Link, anyone? I would like to look at it again and have lost
the url...). Textbooks and more granular education materials are
provided by the countries as needed, is my understanding. So, I think
'yes' is the answer to your questions. it is a mixture of cached
material, government-supplied materials and even possibly a portal
page for finding various web resources.

> Adam
> Sydney Australia

Slightly off-topic, but if you are going to be at Linux.conf.au next
month, myself and Justin Gallardo from the Open Source Lab are going
to be attending. It would be nice to meet up with any OLPC-interested
people while we are in that corner of the world. Put a face to a name
and all that good stuff.

--
Michael Burns * Security Student
NET * Oregon State University