[Kreyol] Questions sur les procédures de traduction

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue Aug 12 12:35:28 EDT 2008

Phillipe wrote:
> From your response, I'm tentatively assuming that the preferred language
> on this list is English. Is that correct? I am just as comfortable with
> that language and would have no objections using it.

The preferred language is English on the other OLPC lists (except for
OLPC-Sur in Spanish, and OLPC-Haiti, [mostly] in French).  A remarkable
number of people on the lists, including many OLPC developers, are able
to read Spanish as well as I can read French, and many of them can write
Spanish better than I can write French (my Spanish is less rusty, and
I'm definitely more fluent in that now).  It wouldn't surprise me if
there are nearly as many readers on all the lists who have similar
ability with French.

I think that given the subject nature of this list (Kreyòl localization)
that French probably makes the most sense as a preferred language, for
those fluent in it, with English as an acceptable second choice.  While
your English is clearly better than my French, I'd encourage you to keep
posting in French until and unless someone on the list actively requests
translations (I'm pretty sure that Edward Cherlin can read French, and I
don't know of anyone else on the list who might not).

As for me, well, I'll spare you all my broken French today and limit
myself to using French for posts like the previous one that might
actually show up in a French language Google search, or be mined for
text in a French language page on the OLPC Wiki, where French would be
more helpful for those actually doing the localization work.

And, please, do let the list know of any issues or doubts you have while
working on the Kreyòl translations.  While comments in the Pootle
projects are helpful as "point notes" they reach a smaller audience than
postings on the mailing lists, and I think that with some small increase
in activity on this list (there have been only a very few postings so
far) it will encourage the readers to participate in the localization
activities and improve the Kreyòl localization.  Cross-posting to the
OLPC-Haiti list might be helpful as well, to increase the number of
potential participants.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com