[OLPC India] Windows on OLPC XO 1.5

RJV jv.ravichandran at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:30:57 EDT 2012

I agree because if it were a matter of comfort with the Windows platform
then there should be lots of kids learning through Windows at schools. And
anyway, if kids do not know how to use the XO, what is the rationale behind
making XO work on Windows? Obviously, this is a question that is meant to
be cleverly detrimental to delay progress of the OLPC.

A simple rationale is let the children learn through the XO the OLPC way,
the same way that the people who pose such questions learned how to talk -
through observation and adptation to life.

Regards,

Jv.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Satish Jha <sjha at vsnl.com> wrote:
> > Walter,
> >
> > At this stage I am not even looking for rationale. Anyone trying to
> reach an
> > audience has to address their concerns. They will learn the way they do.
> Can
> > you force their learning?
> >
> > We can conclude India is not ready or walk with India at the pace it
> learns.
> >
> > Puritanism has its charm and consequences for those we want to help. That
> > has kept OLPC from 5 batches of India's children and 95 percent of them
> get
> > little education worth anything that help them join the world as we know.
> >
> > What do you suggest? Keep them from the dreams that olpc dreamt but could
> > not even share with those it dreamt for?
> >
> > Regards
> > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

> At its heart, this is a technical issue. It is not obvious that
> Windows 8 can run on the XO hardware. And if it is possible, it will
> require a significant investment to do the port. So asking for a
> rationale for making this investment is not a matter of Puratism, it
> is a mater of pragmatism.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> --