[OLPC India] Windows on OLPC XO 1.5

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sat Sep 29 14:55:02 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Development Associates
<adhikaris at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Because state governments want it.

If the Govt wants it, that is because the people who asked for it have
no idea of what they are going to gain or lose if they get Windows on
OLPC.  It is our duty to educate them.

1. we do not want the children to become mere clerks, but creative citizens.
2. we do not want the children to end up their precious time in
becoming consumers and not producers, since most software we get for
Windows is consumer oriented.
3. we do not want the children to keep on fighting computer viruses.
4. we want them to use the constructionist learning environment like
the sugar learning platform and not merely use passive instructionist
environments.
5. also the likelyhood of children wasting a lot of time and get
addicted to the various consumer oriented comptuter games that provide
very little learning experience.  We don't want such games on OLPC,
since we want to leave children alone when seriously engaged in
building something using the OLPC. You cannot do that with a Windows
PC and we need constant monitoring of abuse. OLPC is designed to keep
the abuse to least level possible.

There may be many other points of comparison, but I will place the
above on top, for not using Windows on OLPC.

--
GN

http://metaStudio.org/ reShaping Education