[OLPC India] Hi All...Why taking product to market is so slow

Sven AERTS svenaerts228 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:50:35 EST 2012

Hi Prady,
I agree this is very frustrating isn't it?
I mean if it is so obvious to you and many others, then why don't
things move faster?
Corruption? Vested interests? I mean if all kids in a certain region
get an XO, they won't need another brand ... and if just that brand is
what a key-person e.g. responsable for education is getting some bribe
money from, OLPC is blocked.
Second line of frustration is that if one community has it, I'd think
it would put a lot of pressure on all the surrounding
communities/regions. I mean, 2-3 years later the first wave of
internet kids get on the labor market and a couple of more years later
and these other no-xo-regions would be faced with living next to a
super region where all kids/parents are 100% computer literate and
have one at home.  It has also struck me as strange that this would
not set in  motion a wheel that would start turning faster and faster
and that it would happen quicker.

I've been in contact with some ministers that appeared to be really
corrupt.  And as soon as they realize nobody at olpc side is going to
give them any bribe money ... they're not interested anymore.
Some really can't care less about their fellow citizens and kids.
Maybe getting one for their tribe ok ... but CERTAINLY NOT allowing
OLPC to give laptops to a rival tribe and risking someone there gets
his ministerial post?! You must be kidding, right?
Another reason in my impression was that maybe they are too much used
to getting educational stuff for free via foundations.
Another reason: fast rotation of ministers of education in corrupt
countries?  It takes quite some going hence and forth until one has
come to an agreement.  I think some of these ministers are just not
capable of thinking in a project.  They can just think of buy and sell
and get a comission/bribe.  But thinking in phases, organising a
series of meetings where key players in the educational landscape
meet, what books to put on the xo's, how many xo when and where,
setting up a kernel team, what about a technical and education hub for
teachers, a communication strategy, etc.
Some ministers are just too stupid and it just all takes too long for them.
"I have money for x hundred laptops from whoever .. and it will help
me win the votes to in my tribe to get re-elected ... ok I'll buy and
get a comission etc. and the other kids that are not from my tribe...
I don't care.   Why offer a laptop if I can do it by giving them a
cheap calculator?  The common family has nothing ... much cheaper and
all the rest of the money can dissapear in their pocket, inclusif the
money you'd have spent on laptops."
Conclusion?  Do we underestimate the power of corruption, vested
interest, bribery and stupidity?